Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Routine Update + Cleaning Routine Addition


My Routine: Pilot Status Check


So far, so good! I loved having the routine as my guide; I felt like I got so much done today, and still had fun time to enjoy with Annabel. Even though I do love sleeping in, it actually felt so much better to get up early and have time to myself. It was so relaxing! Who knew?? Maybe the best part: I was able to drink an entire mug of coffee. Without interruption. Le sigh.

I didn't do everything in the exact order of my routine, but as Crystal from MoneySavingMom.com says, that is OK! And it's the reason why it's a routine and not a schedule.

This morning I was thinking about this whole effort: researching, testing, and implementing a new routine. And the fact that it probably sounds silly to some people, because sometimes I think it's silly. Shouldn't I be able to just know what to do when?! Is this a whole lot of work for nothing??

But then I remind myself of the same thing I wrong about in my post on 27 April; I tend to overwhelm myself with the amount of things I want to get done. If I only have a mental to-do list, my brain kicks into overdrive and my stress levels shoot through the roof!

Also, in my corporate work life I loved having a list of things to do, because nothing feels better than crossing something off that list. And thanks to the test run today, I now know the same holds true for my stay-at-home life! I loved crossing things off my routine as I got them done.

The pilot continues...

Cleaning Routine


Meanwhile, yesterday I decided that I'd start mocking up a cleaning routine as well. Which reminded me of a great blog I found while Pinteresting (is that a real word yet?) months ago. And specifically, of a cleaning routine idea on said blog.

Said blog is iHeart Organizing, which I have yet to explore in detail. But I can attest to the fact that her Cleaning Routine idea is great. It's exactly the kind of cleaning routine style I like, with daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual cleaning tasks to check off. I decided not to use her exact list, but instead used it as a starting point and then edited it a bit. I'm guessing it'll be edited even more as I put it to use!

Here are my tasks so far. I decided to start with weekly, monthly, and quarterly:

Weekly cleaning tasks Monthly cleaning tasks Quarterly cleaning tasks
  • Clean toilets
  • Wipe bathroom sinks/counters
  • Clean bathroom floors
  • Clean bathtubs + shower
  • Sweep wood floor
  • Vacuum first floor
  • Vacuum second floor
  • Vacuum stairs
  • Dust first floor (basic)
  • Dust second floor (basic)
  • Wash sheets
  • Wash towels
  • Clean refrigerator
  • Clean microwave
  • Full kitchen counter wipe
  • First floor windows
  • Second floor windows
  • Purse / diaper bag reorg
  • Clean kitchen garbage can
  • Wash bath rugs
  • Wash comforter
  • Change air filter
  • Wash pillow cases
  • Wash couch cover
  • Clean oven
  • Vacuum mattresses


End-of-Day Results


Crystal from MoneySavingMom.com bravely posts what she gets done per day, so maybe I will too?? I'm feeling pretty brave today anyway, so here 'tis:


Morning routine
  • 6:00 Wake up time – Em
  • Shower, get dressed
  • Coffee
  • Start a load of laundry
  • Make Zach's lunch (N/A)
  • 7:15 Wake up time – Annabel (8:15)
  • 8:00 Breakfast
  • Switch laundry to dryer
  • Fun time!
Afternoon routine
  • 11:00 Lunch – Annabel
  • Fold laundry
  • 11:30 Nap – Annabel (12:15)
  • 12:00 Lunch – Em
  • Clean up kitchen
  • Straighten bathrooms & bedrooms
  • Cleaning task
  • 2:00 Wake up – Annabel
  • Fun time!
Evening routine
  • 5:30 Dinner
  • Clean up kitchen
  • 7:30 Bed time – Annabel
  • 10-minute house pickup
  • Scoop kitty litter
  • Read
  • 10:00 Bed time – Em

For my cleaning task time slot, I was able to cross off FOUR weekly cleaning tasks! Yeah, I'm still in the overexuberant stage.

  • Clean toilets
  • Wipe bathroom sinks/counters
  • Wash sheets 
  • Wash towels


We'll see how the rest of the week goes!!

Now I'm off to do the 10-minute house pickup, kitty litter scoopin', then a good book is calling my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment