Thursday, May 31, 2012

Cleaning Routine: Key for Sanity

Now on to the cleaning routine. Like my general daily routine, the cleaning routine has been key to maintaining my sanity. Like I said a month ago, I used iHeart Organizing's cleaning chart as my inspiration, and started with a list that I haven't really changed much:

Weekly cleaning tasks Monthly cleaning tasks Quarterly cleaning tasks
  • Clean toilets
  • Wipe bathroom sinks/counters
  • Clean bathroom floors
  • Clean bathtubs + shower
  • Sweep wood floor
  • Vacuum first floor
  • Vacuum second floor
  • Vacuum stairs
  • Dust first floor (basic)
  • Dust second floor (basic)
  • Wash sheets
  • Wash towels
  • Clean refrigerator
  • Clean microwave
  • Full kitchen counter wipe
  • First floor windows
  • Second floor windows
  • Purse / diaper bag reorg
  • Clean kitchen garbage can
  • Wash bath rugs
  • Wash comforter
  • Mop wood floor
  • Flea meds for dog
  • Change air filter
  • Wash pillow cases
  • Wash couch cover
  • Clean oven
  • Vacuum mattresses

So am I getting every weekly task done per week? Hahahahahahahaa.... no.

But, I manage to get most of them done. Usually! :) And what I don't get done one week, I prioritize the following week. This has kept me from beating up on myself for missed tasks. Vacuuming has been the hardest to get done, because A) I HATE vacuuming, and B) Annabel is sooooo scared of the vacuum. Good enough reasons to slack, right?

Being that it is the last day of May, I can say that I only have one outstanding monthly task left: Clean refrigerator! Will it get done by the end of the day? Er, maybe. I'll leave it at that. Why yes it did!! Apparently posting my negative feelings towards finishing the last May cleaning task made my brain say: Challenge accepted!! Barney-style. And now every single May cleaning task is done. Big sigh of relief right?

As for quarterly cleaning tasks, I have one month left to do the lone outstanding task: Vacuum mattresses! Woo!!

I may keep adding to the lists going forward, but I can vow here and now that the cleaning routine is here to stay! It's given me a lot of satisfaction to keep the house clean, and to cross stuff off my lists. It's also kept me from going out of my mind trying to remember what I cleaned and when!

MoneySavingMom.com has some recent articles with other great cleaning routine ideas & inspiration:

My Money Saving Mom® Inspired Cleaning Schedule
Q&A: How do you stay motivated to get housework done?

No comments:

Post a Comment